This is the recipe my grandmother used to make dinner rolls. It’s a bit of work, but definitely worth the effort. This makes about 3 dozen rolls.
Ice Box Rolls
- 7 Cups flour
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 egg – beaten
- 2 cups very warm water
- 1/3 cup melted crisco or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Mix warm water, yeast, sugar and salt. Add egg and melted butter (or crisco) and mix well.
- Add the mixture to the flour and knead until dough is made. Add water or flour as needed to make the dough not too dry or sticky.
- Let rise in a warm place (around 80 degrees) until it doubles. Usually about an hour to hour and a half.
- Punch down and make rolls a bit smaller than ping pong balls and place into greased pan.
Let rise again for about an hour.
- Bake at 350 until brown, about 15 – 20 minutes.